Our favourite of all the different Balinese dishes was the familar, but different, peanut satay sauce. Happiness in dipping!
We were too busy eating it to take a picture of it so here’s a picture of a gargolye (makes perfect sense really).
Some coconut milk (as desired)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (crunchy)
1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 small red chilli (finely chopped)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic (crushed)
½ tablespoon peanut oil
1. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the garlic, onion and chilli over a moderate heat until onion is soft.
2. Add the sugar and stir until slightly caramelised.
3. Add the soy sauce and peanut butter and stir through.
4. Add a little coconut milk at a time until you achieve your desired consistency.
5. Serve as a dipping with checkin skewers, carrot sticks or broccoli florets.